Sunday, March 4, 2012

Substitute post

Now batting for The Baseball Card Snob, Manny Mota, Mota, Mota.

Ok, this is a quick substitute post since I don't have time to properly form the original post I wanted to write.

If you read my last offering, you saw that we spent the kids winter break in NYC.  Well it was Brooklyn, Crown Heights to be exact.  We were at the Brooklyn Museum (very nice, but not for children) and inquired about somewhere close by to eat.  The woman behind the counter suggested Tom's Diner.

Now when I heard her say Tom's Diner, I immediately thought of this
Tom's Diner.  I'm sure some of the older collector's also had the same thought.

Well we walked over to the diner, waited a few minutes and were seated. This is a very old "diner", and not what comes to mind when I think of a diner.  This is a standard issue New Jersey diner,

In fact, this is the infamous Tick Tock Diner on Route 3 in Clifton, NJ, as seen in Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. It was also the haunt of the cast of The Uncle Floyd Show, back in the day.  If you enlarge the picture, you might see the Diner's slogan on the clock "Eat Heavy". But I digress.

Well Tom's Diner looks like this on the outside,

Looks more like the candy store I described in the last post.  Anyway, we sit down to eat and something on the wall catches my eye.  There were lots of things on the wall but this stuck out.


The lyrics to the song Tom's Diner.  I think you can make out the writing at the bottom.  But if you can't, it says "I Came, I saw, I wrote,  Suzanne Vega."  Pretty freakin neat.  Had no idea this was the place.

So if you're ever in Crown Heights and want to see a little piece of Pop Music history, stop in at Tom's Diner on Washington Ave and try the Eggcream, I hear it's really good.

10 comments:

  1. "I'm sure some of the older collector's also had the same thought." Yes, very true. And yes, that lyric page is pretty freakin neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rather depressing that knowing a Suzanne Vega song means I'm .... uh ... "older."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how card collecting should make me feel young and yet so often it makes me feel old. Oh, well. What ya gonna do? My back hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song was produced in 1987, I was 23. Now I'm 47, so I guess I'm old. My kids had no idea who Suzanne Vega was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - it was my first thought as well. I wasn't even all that fond of it at the time, but it's imprinted. It would have been cool to have sat in the actual diner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Night Owl. I know Beatles songs, does that also make me older? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it also shows that you have taste in your music

      Delete
  7. i drove by the Tick Tock just the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been by that place hundreds of times, still haven't gone inside to eat.

      Delete